Is dress code fair? Students and teachers weigh in

Student wears the shame shirt that students who get dress coded have to wear

Ki

Student wears the “shame shirt” that students who get dress coded have to wear

A student’s point of view:

The dress code at Lanier High School is unfair and should be changed. The dress code is extremely selective, there are far more restrictions on girls than there are on boys, and so on.
Lilly Hester (10th) says, “I feel like [the] dress code is not defined enough. What’s deemed appropriate depends more on which administrator sees you. I also feel that people with certain body types are more targeted to be dress-coded.” Many other students also agree with Lilly. Teachers pick and choose who to dress code. One person could be wearing the same exact thing as another, and one of them would get dress coded while the other would not.
Drea McRae (10th) says “I feel like the dress code depends more on the body type of the person getting dress-coded.” Many other people also feel this way. Once again, teachers choose who they do or do not want to dress code based on body type.
Tiahona Williams (10th) says “I feel like the dress code is mainly for the teachers. We all go out on the weekends and are around each other outside of school and we all know what each other look like, so I don’t understand why it is any different when we are at school.”
Also, there is close to nothing about the dress code for boys in the Lanier High School Student Handbook. The only thing it says is, “Boys are not to wear sleeveless shirts.” I think that it is fine that there is no dress code for boys, but it should be the same way for girls. It is unfair that girls have such a strict dress code while boys do not.
Here is one example of what the school’s dress code says for girls, “No halter tops, strapless tops, tank tops, spaghetti straps, or bare shoulder tops of any type will be allowed.” This is just one section of what is mentioned about girls’ dress code, and there is so much more.
The dress code is very outdated and needs to be changed. The school should go through and update the dress code to something that is much less selective and more equal to boys and girls. Overall, the dress code at Lanier High School is unfair to say the least. It is unfair in that teachers decide who they do and do not want to dress code, and that it is much more strict for girls.

A few teacher’s point of views:

“I think it is funny when they think the dress code is strict. When I got off the bus at my highschool, there were two administrators with rulers at the doors. They would check you to make sure your shorts were long enough – down to the centimeter. They would duct tape any hole in people’s jeans. What these kids have now is nothing; I honestly am not sure what they are complaining about.”

“After reading your student’s article, it seems like they take it more personally than it really is. I have never known a teacher to “target” students for dress code based on their body type or other differences. 99% of the time it depends on what I have going on. If I am running from lunch duty back to a meeting, I do not have time to argue with a student in the hallways about why their outfit is inappropriate. I don’t have time to make sure they actually go to student services rather than just take a wrong turn, so they slide by and I hope their next period teacher resolves it. I would never pick out one student over the other, and I do not think anyone else would either.”

“The way I see it, high school prepares our students for college and/or a career. We teach them how to write, how to act, how to collaborate, and how to dress. Like it or not, you can’t go wearing whatever you feel like to your job one day, and learning what is and is not appropriate starts here. Some students have lost what it means to dress respectfully or reasonably, and I blame some of that on their pop culture, but they also have a choice to follow it.”

“Sometimes it makes me very uncomfortable – and I do not know why they don’t get that. It is weird that I know which students have belly-button piercings; it is weird that I can see your stomach. But again, it’s not personal – I don’t want to see anyone’s stomach.”

“Our jobs, as educators, are to prepare high school students for the next phase of their lives. Many workplaces as well as colleges and universities have dress codes.”

“I want them to imagine that all their teachers and admin walked into school with cut off jean shorts and part of their stomach showing. If that makes them uncomfortable, now they might get it.”