How different sports go about conditioning

Ashley Kenney

Pictures of the football field, softball field, and basketball court

There is no doubt that sports are a huge part of high school and 95.6% of American families. Conditioning is the act of training to beat the challenges that apply to your sport. I had a chance to interview a cross country runner from Effingham County High School, Olivia Lott. When asked what type of conditioning she does for cross country she said, “It all depends on what you’re working on. If you want to work on your speed, you’ll probably do some plyometrics [a type of exercise that requires speed and force to build muscles] and ladders. If you want to work on your cardio or distance, you run miles.” During the interview, I compared cross country conditioning with wrestling conditioning. In wrestling, they run for longevity and do push-ups and sit-ups for arm and core strength. I also had the chance to sit down with a Lanier High School freshman football player, Joshua Donner, and talk to him about the types of conditioning they do. He said, “Mostly like weight lifting. Squats, bench, tricep extensions. If we’re doing cardio, we run across the baseball field … one coach will snap the ball and we’ll run.” Something I noticed from these interviews is that running is a big part of all of their conditioning.
As you can see, conditioning is a huge part of sports. It helps to produce better performance and longevity, two massive components, for pro athletes. Whether it’s football, cross country, wrestling, or any other sport, they all require conditioning so athletes can perform to the best of their ability.

Gough, Christina. “Percentage of U.S. Americans Engaged Leisure/Sports Activities 2010-2019.” Statista, 9 July 2020, https://www.statista.com/statistics/189548/daily-engagement-of-the-us-population-in-leisure-and-sports/