Pros and cons of block days

Lanier High School

A day and B day Bell Schedule

Wish you only had a few classes per day? Do you feel like the amount of classes you have in one day is overwhelming? That’s what block days are for. Block days are used in academic scheduling so that you have fewer classes in one day, and the subjects are still in rotation. Block days are used in middle schools and high schools more than elementary schools. This is mainly because elementary schools have one main teacher per classroom that teaches all their students different subjects, rather than having multiple teachers that each teach a different subject. Lanier High School is an example of a school that takes advantage of block days.

Teachers have a huge benefit when it comes to block days, they give them more time to give students individual attention when it comes to assignments and lessons that students have to learn. Students will have less homework due to the extra time in classes that students can use after a lesson to work on homework while in school instead of doing it at home. Students who are struggling with grades have the opportunity to catch up with other students. Students with learning difficulties/disabilities will also be able to take advantage of block days with the varied lessons that teachers can make in a traditional classroom environment.

Overall, block days can be a great thing for students. They can promote cooperative learning in students, which can allow students to have less homework and focus in class. Teachers will have more time to work with students and address what they need help with, as well as more time to plan longer lesson plans. Students can experience less stress; with shorter class periods some students work at a different pace than other students and will rush to finish their work. Longer class periods let students take their time to do their work, and they will have less homework to do when they get home, which can decrease their stress levels.

Block days can be very beneficial for students, but what about the students who are absent? They will have a greater loss since the classes will be longer. This can cause them to lose information from two or more lessons. What if block days lead to the day being monotonous? Since the classes are longer, it can make it harder for students to concentrate in classes. What about the students who work at a slower pace than others? The longer classes and multiple lessons in a class can make block days stressful for students to catch up. Block days can be a disadvantage for some students and something that students wouldn’t prefer.

“I like block days because it gives us more time to do things in classes,” said Lydia Lunceford, a senior at Lanier High School, “I like how you can get more time to do work so you don’t have to be rushed.”

Block days are used in schools to divide the amount of classes that you have per day. Some students like it and some don’t. Block days can help students with stress, cooperative learning, and let students have less homework. They can also hurt students who are absent during block days, students who struggle with concentration, and students who work slower than others that have to work faster and rush with the multiple lessons that they have to take in per class. Are block days a positive or a negative thing for schools?

Lewison, K. (2020, March 30). What Is Block Scheduling and Is It Effective? Pros and Cons. University of the People. https://www.uopeople.edu/blog/what-is-block-scheduling/

Miller, B. (2017, January 14). 6 Pros and Cons of Block Scheduling. Green Garage. https://greengarageblog.org/6-pros-and-cons-of-block-scheduling

Gaille, L. (2018, March 26). 13 Block Scheduling Pros and Cons. 13 Block Scheduling Pros and Cons. https://vittana.org/13-block-scheduling-pros-and-cons