Freshman Election Recap

Beverly LeMaster

Kori Joseph, now Freshman Class President is surrounded by supportive friends during campaign week

During voting week, I interviewed the freshmen presidential and vice presidential candidates. I asked them three important questions.

What motivated you to run?

People always have a reason to do something, but what were our freshmen candidates’ reasons for running?

Kori Joseph (presidential candidate, volleyball player) said that her motivation for running was “[feeling] like I’m a natural born leader, and I’m not afraid to speak up for people who are scared to speak up for themselves.” 

Jake O’reilly (Stuco vice presidential candidate, environmental club) also had a leadership motivation, “The idea that I could be helping the school with leadership positions, as there are alot of kids at school that don’t have a lot of school spirit and they’re just not too involved with school activities.” 

Jazel Barahona (Stuco presidential candidate, freshmen spirit cheerleader), and Carmelo Byrd (freshmen VP candidate, football, basketball, baseball) also had leadership motivations. 

Barahona’s answer to this question was, “I’ve always been a leader and I want to continue to be one.”

Byrd’s answer was, “I’ve seen a lot of people look up to me.” 

While all of those candidates had a leadership motivation, there were other motivations as well. For example, Madison Graham (Stuco presidential candidate, Freshmen spirit cheerleader) had an experience motivation, “I thought it would be a great experience, and I’ve always wanted to be stuco president.” 

Of course, not everyone has to have a long answer to this question, as Liana Jones’ (Stuco VP candidate, freshmen spirit cheerleader, Varsity competition cheerleader) answer to this question was simple, “the people.” 

Gabby Walker’s (presidential candidate, freshman volleyball player) motivation was more towards school spirit, stating that “I’ve lived in the Lanier cluster my whole life, and I love the school and going to events and such.” 

Allison Englert’s (Stuco presidential candidate, freshmen spirit cheerleader) answer was, “to help the students out, and get energy and get people to go places.”

What are your plans for the school?

Joseph’s answer to this question was, “As freshmen class president, I plan to make the school a more inclusive place for all grades. I plan to listen to my classmates and see what needs doing around the school, whether it be showing new students around the school, trying to lower the prices in the vending machines, or simply just listening to those who need it.” 

Barahona, Englert, and Walker all had the same plans: to listen to the students. 

Barahona said, “To listen to the freshmen class and get them more involved with activities.” 

Englert said, “My plans are really to just listen to the students and voice their opinions in meetings.”  

Walker’s response to the question was, “Anything anyone has a problem with I feel like I can communicate with the leaders and get it changed.”

Graham and O’reilly both had plans to help with school spirit. 

O’reilly’s answer to this question was, “My plans for the school is for the school spirit to be raised, because a lot of people coming out of Covid, they don’t have a lot of school spirit with them.” 

Graham would like to get more involvement with freshman sports, stating that, “I would like to get a lot more involvement in 9th grade sports because most people just go to Varsity games, and make sure ninth graders are heard.” 

Byrd’s response to this question was, “I want to make people wanna come to school and enjoy their day, not so stressful.” 

Jones’ response was, “to help out the community.”

Why should people elect you?

Joseph responded with, “People should elect me because I will listen to the people who might normally get ignored or talked over. I’m going to use my position not to boss people around but to spark real change in our school. I’m going to do my best to do what is necessary for our class, not just my friends.” 

O’reilly and Walker both had similar answers. O’reilly stated, “People should elect me because I have a lot of school spirit.” 

Walker said, “I have a lot of school spirit like I said, I love going to events. I play volleyball here. I’m a leader. I have good grades.” 

Barahona and Graham believe that they would both be excellent leaders. Barahona stated, “I’ve been a leader before, and I want to continue that.” 

Graham believes, “I think it’s about who’s going to be the best president, and I think I am that person. The president is supposed to be a leader, and I think I have great leadership qualities.” 

Englert said, “If you want your voice heard, if there is something you want changed, and you want your voice out.” 

Byrd’s response to this question was, “I like to come to school and enjoy my day. I’m goofy, I laugh, and I like talking to people.” 

Lastly, Jones’ response to this question was, “It’s more about choosing the right person than your best friend.”

When asked if they would run again next year, they all said yes. 

There you have it folks. Those were their answers! Great job to everyone who ran for president and VP. Congratulations to Kori Joseph for winning President, and to Liana Jones for winning VP.

**Below is an update written by Skyler Gains after the election**

Finally, the long-awaited announcement is here. After a long week of anticipation, the results of the freshman election are out. Congratulations to Kori Joseph, your Freshman President, and Liana Jones, your Freshman Vice President. Both are extremely proud and excited to be in this position right now.

“As freshman class president I plan to make the school a more inclusive place for all grades,” Kori says, “I plan to listen to my classmates and see what needs doing around the school whether it be showing new students around the school, trying to lower the prices in the vending machines, or simply just listening to those who need it.”

Kori feels like the best candidate for the job because she’s a natural-born leader and she can and will stand up for those that can’t do so themselves.

Liana Jones, the new Vice-President, plans to help the class of 2022 and continue to be more involved within our school, such as joining clubs and asking to see what problems she can help solve. She feels as though she can help bring everyone together. 

“I was really happy,” she said, as her position of Vice President was announced. She was immediately ready to help the members of our herd.

Again, congratulations to both of you, and we wish you well on your presidential journey!