Noah Richardson commits to UNCW (D1) for swim

%40noah.r_03%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Finstagram.com%2Fp%2FCUTM_vTryiD%2F

Noah Richardson

@noah.r_03 https://instagram.com/p/CUTM_vTryiD/

Noah Richardson, a LHS senior, committed to the University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW) on September 26th of this year to continue his swimming career at a division one university. Richardson has been swimming since the age of eight and is ready to take his swimming career to a new level. Despite receiving offers from multiple other division one schools like the University of South Carolina and Georgia Tech, Richardson chose UNCW mainly for the team atmosphere he felt when he visited the campus for his recruiting trip. He really enjoyed meeting the team, and the head coach made him feel welcomed, making his choice about where to go to college extremely easy. Although he describes the committing process as “very long and stressful,” he stuck with it until the end to continue doing what he loves.

In recruiting rankings for the class of 2022, Richardson is ranked 21st out of hundreds of current high school senior swimmers in the state of Georgia. Outside of swimming for Lanier High School, Richardson also swims for Swim Atlanta and works tremendously hard to make sure he does everything in his power to show that he deserves his scholarship.

“It feels awesome, very stress relieving, and I feel really good about my decision,” says Richardson when asked how it feels to be committed.

UNCW is in the top 100 best public national universities, and they offer up to 58 majors as well as four doctoral degrees. To add on, they provide 36 master degree programs to ensure that the students attending their school are able to pursue exactly what will put their desired future in reach.

As previously stated, the welcoming head coach really helped seal the deal for Richardson’s commitment. Bobby Guntoro was named head coach on July 23, 2020, making him the third head coach in the program’s 42-year history and the first UNCW graduate to hold this position. Guntoro helped to produce a pair of NCAA champion relays at the 2018 NCAA champions and both relay units set NCAA records. Many staff members as well as athletes are very pleased to have him as a head coach, and they know he will continue to do his best for the Swim & Dive team at UNCW.

One of the main reasons why Richardson has decided to stay with swimming as long as he has is because of the friendships and bonds he has made throughout the years. A team atmosphere is one of the most important and impactful elements of sports because it allows you to create life-long friendships, even after the sport ends. Going off to college knowing that you’re going to have these bonds and that team environment to welcome you makes you feel like you already belong.

Richardson is more than ready to attend UNCW and become a seahawk. The lessons he has learned throughout the years will follow him into college and help him along the way. Lanier’s students and staff members wish him the best of luck and know that he will succeed in all his endeavors.

“These are going to be the best four years of my life, and I’m really excited to share the experience with my teammates,” replies Richardson after being asked what he’s most looking forward to while swimming at college.