Day in the life of a competition cheerleader

JV competition cheer at Mill Creek

Coach Erickson

JV competition cheer at Mill Creek

Lanier High School’s Varsity Competition Cheer team started their competition season off at Dacula High School on September 11, 2021 for their first competition.The cheerleaders arrived at Lanier at 8:20 in the morning. Starting off the morning by rolling out all the mats, in order to endure a short practice. When everyone felt good with what they warmed up, they put all the mats away and started getting ready. The cheerleaders went through the rest of their morning listening to music and dancing as they did their makeup and hair to prepare for the competition. The team left the school around 10:45am to get to Dacula on time.
When the girls finished dancing, it was time to get serious and ready to compete. The girls found an isolated portion of Dacula’s Commons to stretch and mark through their routine. They have waited a couple minutes before they go back to start warm up. Starting off their warm ups the cheerleaders do their jumps and tumbling on the first mat. They proceeded by warming up stunts on the second mat, and their dance on the last mat.
The girls walked out of warmups singing the Lanier fight song and chanting, in order to keep the energy alive. Moments after, the girls took the floor and hit their routine. The team took the energy from the crowd and their warmups to magnify their performance. The Lanier Varsity Competition won first place with a score of 89.
Two weeks later, the JV Competition team traveled to Mill Creek High School for their first competition. Both the girls and coaches had to arrive at Lanier around 6:30am. The team started off the morning similar to varsity by rolling out mats and having their short practice, in order to get warm and ready to compete. While the cheerleaders did their makeup, Coach Erickson, a teacher at Sugar Hill Elementary, and Coach Cwikla, a teacher at Lanier Middle School, did all the cheerleaders’ hair.
Unlike varsity, the JV girls rode a bus to Mill Creek, as they got there they continued getting ready and began to warm up. They had three different mats to warm up on: a mat to tumble and jump, a mat to stunt, and a mat to warm up their entire routine and critique any final flaws.
The girls got called to the performance mat, and they came out strong. As girls transitioned to their first stunt, it went up and hit. All the girls continued to do their best, when they got to the cheer, they were loud and did a great job of getting the crowd involved. When the girls got to the last stunt, all went up but only one group came down, although they came down they got right back in and continued their routine like the stunt never fell.
Both Lanier High School competition teams started their season with a great first competition. Since then, they have continued to practice and work towards being the most accomplished and record-setting team Lanier has ever had.