LHS’ Jose Castro commits to D1 school for swim

Jose's Mom

Go South Carolina

Jose Castro is on the Swim and Dive team at Lanier High School. Just recently, Jose committed to South Carolina University to further his academic and athletic career. He is originally from Ventura, California, which is right along the Pacific Coast just north of Los Angeles. Jose moved to Georgia in 2020 after his sophomore year where he enrolled in Lanier High School.
Jose is ranked in the top 250 swimmers in Georgia for the class of 2022. This past summer, he racked up two first place finishes in the 400 and 800 meters with Swim Atlanta at the Georgia LC State Championship.
When asked what the recruiting process was like, Jose replied with, “The first time I talked to them was through a text message with the assistant coach. It was a simple, ‘We have seen your performances and we would like to get to know you better,’ and from that point we just started communicating every other week.”
I then asked what makes South Carolina different from other schools. Jose said, “I think the team environment was one of the big parts and how they treat their student athletes. The academic advisor for the swim team is on top of you 24/7 and provides many opportunities with the alumnis and all of that stuff.”
Lastly, I asked him, prior to committing to South Carolina, what his top three schools were. Jose said, “My other top three were LSU, Auburn, and UGA.”
Jose, as you can see, is a talented swimmer, and is very deserving of his D1 commitment. Until he starts swimming for South Carolina next year, you can find Jose in the pool for Lanier’s Varsity Swim and Dive season. We wish him the best of luck as he takes on his senior season as a Longhorn, and we can not wait to see his success after high school.