Why you should take advantage of NHS Tutoring

Library+room

Jose quintanilla

Library room

NHS is offering tutoring for your winter finals. Sign up using this link: http://www.tinyurl.com/laniertutoring21

Tutoring has helped many students reach their full potential, from helping them get into the college of their choice to simply understanding the concept that they’re struggling in. Being a tutor for other students is beneficial as well. Let’s dig deep into the benefits of tutoring and being tutored.

Three simple reasons for the benefits of becoming a tutor are simple. It shows your leadership skills, you’ll get to interact with other students more often, and you get to comprehend what you’re teaching to your fellow student on a deeper level. It helps show your leadership skills because you’re pretty much becoming the teacher, understanding how the teachers teach students, and trying to look and see what isn’t working in their teaching format. In “The Benefits of Becoming a Tutor” it states, “Being a tutor gives you skills that you need in order to help people. After all, that is what a tutor is there for. Their job is to help those struggling in various areas.” Like the article says, being a tutor once again provides the proper skills you need for a certain occupation. Another benefit would be that you get to interact with students often. Whether it’s after or before school, having just a tiny bit more communication is great for you. In that same passage, it states, “Being a volunteer tutor allows you to help people become more intelligent and the price your students pay for your services is increasing your happiness.” While we might not pay for tutoring at Lanier, you still get to enjoy your time with your fellow classmates as you teach them things they’ll probably remember for a long time. The last thing would be that you get to comprehend the things you’re teaching to this student on another level, even if it’s the simplest of problems. In that same passage it says, “When you are a tutor you want to explain why 2 + 2 = 4. You could use some examples such as “You had 2 apples in row and then you placed 2 more next to them.” You have to think creatively about how you want to teach them, what their learning style is, etc. It helps you comprehend a subject even more clearly than before.

Now that we have the benefits of becoming a tutor, let’s talk about the benefits of being tutored. They have a better understanding of a subject they’re struggling with, it helps them stay on track with their course work, and they might be able to find a new way to learn to help them later on during their classes. They’ve gained a greater knowledge of a subject they’re struggling in because the tutor is doing their job and helping them where they need the most help. In “How Tutoring Can Benefit Students – The Benefits of Tutoring” it says, “There is a wide body of evidence that shows that when students solve difficult problems with the support of a tutor, instructor, or peers, they are better able to retain information and achieve their desired learning goals.” Students are able to get that boost of extra help which like the article says, helps them reach their “desired learning goals”. With these desired learning goals, you can reach great things outside of high school. Secondly, it helps them stay on track with what they need to do in school, what homework they need to get done, etc. In that same passage it states, “When a student is prepared for their subject matter, and [doesn’t] feel overwhelmed, they are more inclined to finish homework and other school-related tasks.” The extra tutoring helps them to not feel overwhelmed, which therefore helps them get their assignments done on time. Lastly, they can find the learning style that’s right for them. In that same passage, it says, “This is good for students who need an extra challenge, as well as students that need a slower pace and more individualized teaching. Simply put: not every student learns at the same pace.” Students are able to learn at their own pace, with the help of their tutor. They’re able to understand a specific topic they’re struggling with because of this pace that they’re learning at.

I decided to interview Faith Mani, who is the Vice Principal of the National Honors Society, who does the tutoring here at Lanier. I asked the following questions:

What’s your experience as a tutor for Lanier?

“Last year, I served as the junior representative on the NHS executive board. One of our projects for the year was to start a tutoring program to help both in-person and digital students! Now, as the community service lead, I run the tutoring program as well as serving as a tutor in a variety of subjects.”

What benefits have you gained as a tutor?

“Tutoring has enabled me to connect with peers across different grades and showed me that there are many different ways to learn. It’s allowed me to become more flexible, creative, and open-minded. Through tutoring, I have been able to build on my communication and leadership skills!”

What do you like the most about being a tutor?

“I love that I am able to meet new people and connect with different students! It’s also great knowing that I am able to make a difference at Lanier and serve my peers as a tutor.”

How do you become a tutor? How do you get tutored?

“NHS members volunteer their time during academy to tutor other students! If you need help in any subject, feel free to sign up for tutoring through this link: http://www.tinyurl.com/laniertutoring21”

With all of this information provided, you should sign up for tutoring if you need help in a specific subject. Or, if you want to help your peers reach their full potential, you can become a tutor. Remember, you have options if you want to help out yourself or others!

Sara Y. The Benefits of Becoming a Tutor 09/27/21
https://tinyurl.com/e593333b

Tutor Portland. How Tutoring Can Benefit Students – The Benefits of Tutoring 04/02/20

How Tutoring Can Benefit Students