Hometown Hero: Tripp Atkinson

Pastor Tripp Atkinson

Pastor Tripp Atkinson

Tripp Atkinson, or Pastor Tripp as many of you may call him, has made such an impact in this community and specifically this school. His special attention to athletics, his guidance to those who reached out, and even his uplifting spirit in the halls of Lanier High School and Sugar Hill Church, where he was the student pastor, will be missed. His next journey is to Church at the Mill in Spartanburg, South Carolina. To honor Mr. Atkinson and his family, I’m writing this article to acknowledge the outstanding, unforgettable, amazing things Tripp has done for this community.
Tripp has been a huge personality in Lanier Athletics; he has done everything he can to make us the best we could be. He is always there for encouraging words, wise team meetings that help with the ethics and morals of playing team sports, and even offering Sugar Hill Church as a place to host banquets. Specifically for Lanier’s softball team, Pastor Tripp brought the whole team closer together with his spew on the love of the game. Softball had a lot of newbies come to the team, and working together became a little more difficult. Mr. Tripp came to the softball field and told us the key to success in team sports. To be successful in team sports, you must love. You must love everything: love your coaches, love your teammates, love your uniform, and most importantly love what’s on the front of your jersey; not your name or number on the back. His words changed the environment for the whole rest of the season. He has even gone to every single football game and showed up with more support each time. He was never just there, he was supporting and bringing a positive presence. Lanier athletics couldn’t thank Mr. Atkinson enough for what he has done.
Most of Lanier knows Tripp as Mr. Atkinson or Mr. Tripp, but I also know him as Pastor Tripp. The amount of lives he has changed just through Sugar Hill Church is insane. He is the student pastor for Sugar Hill, and I have never seen a man touch the hearts of so many kids. Every church retreat, every sermon, and every question answered has been a gift that Tripp was able to give the students at Sugar Hill Church. I have seen a number of kids give their life to Christ, because of the wonders Tripp has done for them and the way he showed them what God’s love can really do. His impact on not only Lanier High School or Sugar Hill Church, but individual people in this community and charities as well are unbelievable. He truly has a gift.
He has done an astonishing amount of greatness for this entire community, but God has now called him to continue his journey elsewhere. We will miss Tripp Atkinson, but the entire world deserves to know this man and we can’t keep him all to ourselves. He truly has a gift, and it can’t be kept in the walls of Gwinnett County. Spartanburg is lucky to be getting such a great man. Thank you, Tripp, for everything you have done. All of Gwinnett County thanks you and wishes you good luck on your journey to help others.