7:10 is killing our learning

https%3A%2F%2Fthecultureoflearning.com%2F2021%2F01%2F07%2Fparenting-a-teen-during-a-pandemic-the-anxiety-of-online-learning%2F

The Culture of Learning

https://thecultureoflearning.com/2021/01/07/parenting-a-teen-during-a-pandemic-the-anxiety-of-online-learning/

Part 1: Author Reagan Gaylor
Some people would say that school is very beneficial for kids. However, I think the opposite: that school is very unhealthy and mentally draining for students, especially at our school that starts before the sun is up.
The average teenager needs about eight to ten hours of sleep per night. That’s not always so easy to do on school nights. According to “Why We Must – and Can – Restore Safe & Healthy School Hours,” “Typical sleep cycles begin around 11 p.m. for teenagers and continue through 8 a.m.” However, most teenagers who take the bus have to wake up around five in the morning, and the average teenager goes to bed around 10-11:00 p.m., which is only about six to seven hours of sleep. It’s not good for teens to run on that little sleep and be expected to go to school for eight hours a day, not including after school activities and sports. If kids were to get the full recommended amount of sleep (at least eight hours), they would have to go to bed around 9:00, and that’s not realistic for teens, especially if they have sports/extracurriculars on top of homework.
Speaking of homework: if students have an insane amount of homework, then they will most likely stay up late to finish it. Most teachers assign homework because they think that it helps students get practice and understand the material. Students are at school for about seven hours everyday; they don’t need even more hours piled on top of that to do at home in their free time. Life isn’t all about school. We don’t need to be doing schoolwork 24/7.
Even if school was as beneficial as people say it is, kids can’t learn when they aren’t getting enough sleep. Students who are tired can’t learn at their best. Sleep deprivation impairs learning, memory, and attention. When a kid is tired, they are likely to either fall asleep or zone out and not learn or remember any of the material that was covered in class. According to “Why We Must – and Can – Restore Safe & Healthy School Hours,” “Early school hours PREVENT many students and young teachers from getting the [nine] or so hours of sleep per night that most teenagers and young adults need. The health, safety, and equity benefits to starting middle and high school at times more in sync with the sleep needs and patterns of students are irrefutable.” If kids can’t get enough sleep, then they won’t be able to function and/or learn at school.
School isn’t just unhealthy for students, but for teachers too. The average amount of sleep recommended for adults is at least seven hours. Not to mention, most teachers get to school earlier, and leave later than students. Although the average amount of sleep for adults is lower than teens, it could still be difficult to get the full recommended amount every single night, especially since many teachers have long commutes to work.
School is pretty much taking over our lives. Our sleep schedules are never normal, tons of homework, always stressing about an upcoming test, all of the stress and anxiety of trying to get good grades, and so much more. Teens have lives too. We can’t be stuck doing schoolwork 24/7, both at school and at home. We need enough sleep, we need time for social activities, and we need time to just be kids and live a little.

Why Change? (2011–2022). Start School Later. https://www.startschoollater.net/why-change.html

Part 2: Author Daniel Villalobos
The most important thing for a student, or better said, for a human being, is sleep, since you cannot achieve anything during the day without energy. Most of the students who are enrolled in a high school not only go to school, but also have many other responsibilities such as work, sports, or other types of responsibilities. such as taking care of a younger sibling because of working parents, and after a long day of hard work, rest is the first thing they need to be able to achieve their goals in school. Unfortunately, schools have never cared enough about the well-being of students, and this is evident in how early school starts.
From personal experience, I know that most buses arrive at a neighborhood complex around 6:15 am – 6:30 am, which means that most students wake up before 6:00 am! Another way to get to school is by car where most students arrive by 7:00 am at the latest. Students can’t always find a ride to school by this time for a variety of reasons, so the late pass was created, but for what reason? To show that a student cannot meet the expectations of the school? Not all, but most students are late due to oversleeping; however, this is not a coincidence.
The National Education for Statistics indicates that student tardiness occurs at a rate of 3.3% to 9.5%, and most of them are from students attending a high school. In many counties in Georgia, high school starts the earliest out of the three school levels (elementary, middle, and high school) Most districts have to arrange bus trips so that the drivers get reasonable working hours, also so that there aren’t middle school and high school buses going on at the same time. The school that children attend throughout their growing education defines who they really are, and high school is where they actually get to decide how their future is going to turn out. They also prepare for their upcoming life in high school, but this cannot happen if students don’t get the rest they not only need but deserve.

Gonzalez Hernandez, V., & Shneyderman, A. (2019, November 30). Need for sleep: Causes and consequences of insufficient sleep in adolescents. can delaying school start times help? information capsule. volume 1902. Research Services, Miami-Dade County Public Schools. Retrieved February 8, 2022, from https://eric.ed.gov/?q=Tardiness&id=ED608070

www.quora.com. (n.d.). Retrieved February 10, 2022, from https://www.quora.com/Why-do-schools-start-so-early-even-though-it-has-been-proven-that-starting-later-improves-cognitive-abilities/answer/Joseph-Atherton