Why is Finland #1 in education?

https%3A%2F%2Fsteemit.com%2Feducation%2F%40ehmkannde%2Ffinland-is-one-of-the-best-in-the-world-in-terms-of-educational-system-what-to-take-home

https://steemit.com/education/@ehmkannde/finland-is-one-of-the-best-in-the-world-in-terms-of-educational-system-what-to-take-home

There are 195 countries in the world, and out of all of them, Finland is number one in education. In 1998, they started improving their education system, and for over 20 years, Finland students have been scoring above other countries in mathematics, reading, and science. Although Finland is first in education, they are also arguably the most stable, the happiest, and the safest country.

In contrast, year after year, American students consistently rank around the middle to the bottom among the nations when it comes to how they perform in math and science. The Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), which is combined with the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), continuously releases data that shows how Americans are seriously lagging behind in education performance.

Several school systems are so concerned with increasing test scores and comprehension in math and science that they tend to forget what constitutes a happy, harmonious, and healthy student and learning environment.

The program that Finland put together focused on sticking to the basics. It wasn’t about dominating with excellent marks. Instead, they looked to make the school environment a more equitable place. Since the 1980s, educators have focused on making these basics a priority:

– Education should be an instrument to balance out social inequality.
– All students receive free school meals.
– Ease of access to health care.

They have the students start school when they are seven years old. They’re given freedom in the developing childhood years of their life to grow up and have fun rather than being chained to compulsory education. It’s simply just a way to let a kid be a kid. There are only nine years of school that Finnish children are required to attend. Everything past the ninth grade (at the age of 16) is optional. Just from a psychological standpoint, this is a freeing ideal. Finland alleviates this forced ideal and instead opts to prepare its children for the real world. Having the children in Finland start at an older age helps the kids keep focus on school, so they can excel. The students in Finland have the least amount of homework compared to other schools in various countries. They spend only a half an hour each night working on schoolwork. Although Finland doesn’t have tutors or the unneeded or unnecessary stress, they’re still outperforming cultures that have toxic school-to-life balances. Without having to worry about grades and busy-work, students are able to focus on the true task at hand – learning and growing as a human being.

10 reasons why Finland’s education system is the best in the world. (2020, February 7). World Economic Forum. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/09/10-reasons-why-finlands-education-system-is-the-best-in-the-world