What is BSA and why you should join

What is BSA and why you should join

Here at Lanier, we have a Black Student Association Club (BSA). BSA’s mission statement is “Lanier High School’s Black Student Association (BSA) strives to foster a sense of community for all students by raising cultural awareness of the rich history of African-Americans and by promoting a positive image of black students as leaders in the Sugar Hill community. We embrace our cultural heritage, unity, and the appreciation of diversity and inclusion.”
BSA is a great opportunity for African American students to learn about leadership and their history while meeting and making new friends. One of the sponsors of BSA is Mr. Layfield. We were able to sit down with him and ask him some questions.

What is BSA?
Layfield: “BSA is an acronym for the student organization Black Student Association. This organization was created to serve as a way for all students to engage in meaningful and impactful conversations about our community and appreciate the history of African Americans…”
What are some things that BSA has done in the past?
Layfield: “BSA has, in the past, held an annual BSA Show which is dedicated to showcasing many parts of our culture, namely: Fashion, Hair, Stepping, Singing, Poetry, and Spoken Word. Furthermore, BSA has held spirit weeks, fundraisers, and completed community service. We hope to be able to engage in educational field trips in the near future, COVID and venue availability applicable.”

Why should students join BSA?
Layfield: Students should join BSA to be involved in engaging and informative discussions about the current landscape and learn more about the historical contexts of Black History. BSA is also an opportunity to complete community service hours, volunteer in the community, and build relationships with your peers.”

As you can see, joining BSA is a great idea for any African-American students here at Lanier that are interested in learning about leadership, black history, and serving their community. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, feel free to contact Mr. Layfeild in room 105.