Should LHS have a cosmetology class?

student putting on makeup in class

Sofia Farashian

student putting on makeup in class

Should LHS have a fashion class? Well, out of the 15 people I surveyed, all 15 agreed with me, but what would it take to actually make it a reality at Lanier?
First off, fashion class would teach you how to sew, which articles of clothing go well together, keep you updated on the latest clothing trends and much, much more!
I interviewed Dr. Martin about the possibility of bringing a fashion class to Lanier. According to him, “It’s always possible for any of the elective courses or CTE courses that students are interested in. What we have to look at is a survey of students that actually want to take that course to see how many are actually interested in it. Then, I check with the school district, as well as trying to find a certified teacher to teach that class.”
Of course, there are so many things to take care of when making new courses, from how many students are actually interested in it to if we have a teacher to teach that class. Classroom space in the building is also a concern. Even with all that to think about, Dr. Martin had the answer for it. In fact, he even said that we could put it on the fourth floor! As for having a teacher to teach that class, that might be slightly harder. First, we would have to get a decent amount of students that want to take that class. Then, Dr. Martin has to ask the school district two questions: firstly, if it is okay, and secondly, what certifications a teacher will need to teach that class.
Luckily, according to Dr. Martin, “Nine times out of ten, there is always a teacher here that already has the certifications needed to teach said class, and if not, hiring a new teacher is an option.”
What do you think? If Lanier were to have a class centered around fashion, would you join? If yes, let Dr. Martin know, so we can make this a reality!