Why you should care about Student Council elections

The annual class elections are coming up! You may be thinking, “Why should I care?” or “What does this have to do with me?” Well, Student Council controls more than you would think, so whoever you elect to be your class president, vice president, and executive board, can actually affect you. They control spirit week/day themes, football and basketball game themes, dance themes, some fundraisers, pep rallies, and much, much more. Elections are open to all grades, and anyone in StuCo can apply.
It is very important that Student Council has dedicated and strong leaders – especially next year. Student Council is one of the largest clubs in Lanier High School. Their accomplishments of the past year outreached everyone’s expectations, such as raising 10 thousands pound of food, a Covid friendly homecoming, and they will be putting on a Prom Fashion Show next month. With Mrs. LeMaster, the club sponsor, stepping down from her position due to moving to Florida, she said, “The club is going to be very much student-run.” Mrs. LeMaster also explained, “It’s going to be really difficult stepping down from something that we’ve put tons of effort into building, but I know that the students will continue to do good things.”
Each position has its own responsibilities: all class presidents speak at class meetings if needed, represent their class at pep rallies, and ensure Student Council general members in their grade are present at StuCo events. However, junior and senior class presidents have a job of their own. The junior class president is the head of the prom committee and coordinates with Ms. Dolcimascolo to plan prom and events leading up to prom like spirit week. The senior class president coordinates with Mrs. Chappell on all senior-related activities. All class vice-presidents/herd leaders assist their president or fill in when needed, coordinate with the exec herd leader on games and other StuCo activities, help plan pep rallies, and promote school spirit/community service.

Keep all of this in mind when you vote next week! Voting will be on your eClass landing pages starting Monday, March 21st at 6:45am and end Thursday, March 24th at 11:59pm.