GCPS’s newest high school coming fall 2022

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gcpsk12.org%2FSeckingerHS

Gwinnett County Public Schools

https://www.gcpsk12.org/SeckingerHS

Seckinger High School is the newest school in Gwinnett county. In October 2021, Gwinnett County announced that they were building a new high school, and it will open in August 2022 to relieve the Mill Creek and Mountain View clusters.
Although this school is quite new, it just might be as big as Buford, with a building capacity of 2,800 people. They say their campus will include:
– Expanded technology and engineering labs
– Three large lecture halls with adjoining labs and classroom space
– Collaboration rooms and spaces throughout the building
– Expanded art classrooms
– Graphic design lab
– Band, orchestra, and chorus rooms
– MIDI lab
– Theater and dance studio
– Gymnasiums, athletic fields, and a stadium.
They anticipate opening with 1,000 students, which is only 900 students less than Lanier has now.
The principal of Seckinger High, Memorie Reesman, wrote, “Dear Seckinger High School Students and Families, I am so very pleased and proud to introduce myself as your future principal at Seckinger High School. Together we have a unique opportunity to be a part of something really special—the launch of Seckinger High School, opening in August of 2022!
This next-generation high school will offer innovative learning opportunities and preparation for fast-paced environments of the future. It will offer a comprehensive high school experience designed with today’s student in mind. Students will be able to excel in academics, athletics, fine arts, extracurricular activities, student associations, leadership opportunities, service organizations, and more. The total student experience is a high priority at SHS.
I hope to partner with each of you, as we begin to grow our community and build our brand. The creation of a caring, inclusive, and participatory community for all students and parents is especially important. Upcoming opportunities include focus groups, a community survey, community meetings, and staff and student meetings at MCHS and MVHS. Time-sensitive information will be sent to you through School Messenger.”
Dacula’s softball coach, Kelli Poff, was named the first athletic director at Seckinger High. In October, she led the Dacula softball team into the final rounds of the state tournament in Columbus. Poff was approved by the Gwinnett County Public Schools’ Board of Education as the first athletic director at Seckinger. Poff, a 1999 Dacula grad, has been head softball coach at her alma mater since 2019, when she replaced her high school coach, Tracy Keefer.
“I’m thankful to (Seckinger) Principal (Memorie) Reesman for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to be on the inaugural Seckinger team,” Poff said, “I love her passion for academic achievement, athletics and the arts and her focus to ensure that every student feels welcomed and a part of SHS. I’m looking forward to the impact that the first Artificial Intelligence (AI) themed cluster will have on preparing our students for the future. I am excited to work alongside Principal Reesman and the new staff at Seckinger to cultivate an inclusive high school experience that grows, impacts and inspires our students, athletes and the entire Jaguar community.” “The future is bright for the Jaguars,” Poff added, “SHS will have next-generation athletic facilities and equipment. The coaching staff along with student-athletes will have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create the norms, beliefs and rituals that will be part of the school legacy. I am excited about engaging the community and together building a winning athletics program that will change lives.”
As the end of the school year creeps up, the school will start their new program with all the students coming in. The school is beyond prepared for the 2022-23 school year, and people are excited to see what this school will achieve.
[email protected], W. (2021, October 26). Dacula softball coach Kelli Poff named first athletic director at New Seckinger High. Gwinnett Daily Post. Retrieved April 11, 2022, from https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/dacula-softball-coach-kelli-poff-named-first-athletic-director-at-new-seckinger-high/article_112646fe-3614-11ec-b1e9-8737b3f2bbfe.html