Vaping Affecting High School

How vaping affects school students. (https://www.addictioncenter.com/news/2019/09/schools-eradicate-teen-vaping/)

In today’s society, especially in high school, vaping has become the norm for most students. Vaping is basically smoking but in a “less harmful manner”, which sounds healthier to some. However, vaping can still cause the same negative effects as smoking, though it is advertised as less harmful. This is one of the many reasons why most high school students believe that it is safer to vape. Vaping contains nicotine, flavoring, and other harmful toxic chemicals which make it unsafe for anyone. According to EducationWeek, “Prior to 2022, the number of teens vaping had been on an alarming rise—doubling between 2017 and 2019.” Which is very concerning because so many students have started to vape from a young age. Another research from CDC stated, “Approximately one-third of U.S. middle and high school students who have ever used an e-cigarette reported using marijuana in the device”. This is very shocking to hear not just because marijuana was found in vape, but there is over one-third of young students using vapes. Furthermore, according to Singlecare, it stated, “Estimated 55 million e-cigarette users worldwide by 2022”. Which might be surprising to some people. Although, if you are a high school student just like me, you will understand how accurate that estimate is, since in most high schools today you can see vaping in hallways, outside of school, or in the restroom. Which is very scary to hear to most parents, to know that their own child might be tempted to join in vaping. I also know that there are some laws already set in place for vaping like age restrictions. Nonetheless, most or all students choose to ignore those laws. So, we have to create a much stronger law that can help students live healthier lives. Vapes contain nicotine which is an addictive substance that harms parts of the brain that control attention and learning. You never know, if you stop vaping, it might benefit you greatly.
Superville, Denisa R., and Arianna Prothero. “The Student Vaping Crisis: How Schools Are Fighting Back.” Education Week, 28 Aug. 2019, www.edweek.org/leadership/the-student-vaping-crisis-how-schools-are-fighting-back/2019/08.
SingleCare. “E-Cigarette and Vaping Statistics 2020.” The Checkup, 17 July 2020, www.singlecare.com/blog/news/vaping-statistics/.
CDC. “Electronic Cigarettes.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 Mar. 2019, www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/index.htm.